Piatt County Public Transportation (Piattran) requires all passengers to be courteous and considerate of other passengers and the driver. Instructions from a driver are to be followed by all passengers. Behavior that may affect the safety of other passengers, the driver, or creates an inappropriate or hostile environment for others will not be tolerated. Inappropriate behavior, conditions, or actions such as eating, drinking, use of tobacco products, foul language, lack of personal hygiene, threatening or disruptive behavior, bothering of other passengers, horseplay, fighting, carrying of weapons, possession of illegal drugs or substances or having open containers of alcohol on the vehicle may result in you being suspended from riding Piattran vehicles and you may be reported to local law enforcement. PIATTRAN management will investigate incidents and determine appropriate action. PIATTRAN management reserves the right to suspend or terminate future transportation service to anyone. Appeals or requests for further assistance with the appeals process should be directed to:
Attn: Eileen C. Sierra-Brown, Transportation Director
925 N Market Street, Monticello, IL 61856
Decisions by PIATTRAN management with regard to this policy may be appealed in writing to the Piatt County Transportation Committee. Decisions by the Piatt County Transportation Committee are final.
Piattran strives to offer safe, affordable and on time service. All PIATTRAN personnel should be friendly and courteous at all times. If you found your service experience did not meet expectations, you may contact Administration for problem resolution.
PIATTRAN, 1925 N Market Street, Monticello, IL 61856, 217-762-7821
PIATTRAN provides door-to-door service for frail, elderly and/or passengers with disabilities. Door-to-door means that drivers assist you from your home and assist you back to your door in a safe manner.
All able bodied passengers are given curb-to-curb service meaning you are picked up in front of your home and delivered in front of your destination.
PIATTRAN drivers are required to assist passengers to and from the bus, on and off the bus, and assist with adaptive equipment. Drivers are required to secure passenger wheelchairs and assist with packages.
Occasionally we have passengers that need special attention while they are on the bus or when they arrive at their destination. Because of this we allow an escort to accompany the passenger, who needs/requires special attention at no charge. Only one non-paying escort is allowed per passenger.
Package Pick Up
PIATTRAN provides a limited package pick-up for riders. This shall be done only on existing runs and shall be charged as a one-way trip. PIATTRAN will not be responsible for payment of the package. You must make prior payment arrangements. PIATTRAN drivers will not handle cash or checks for passengers.
PIATTRAN reserves the right to limit the weight and size of an article to be transported. If the article will interfere with the normal access of passengers, PIATTRAN may refuse to transport the package. This generally applies to articles in excess of 50 pounds or eight (8) cubic feet in size.
PIATTRAN assumes no responsibility for damage, breakage, or loss of parcels.
For health as well as social reasons, you must wear appropriate attire when accessing an PIATTRAN vehicle. Proper attire includes shirts; pants, shorts, skirts; and foot covering, such as shoes, sandals, or socks.
You should not leave carry on packages, bags, or other personal items in a doorway or isle that may cause the driver or other passengers to trip. Your personal items should be secured in such a way to allow the driver to move freely; not block windows or emergency exits; and protect riders from injury if carry on packages fall or shift.
Piattran does not allow common items such as gas cans, or flammable items such as gasoline or propane on the bus. All packages and articles such as book bags, lunch boxes, etc. are subject to search for safety reasons.
Smoking and Eating on Revenue Vehicles
There shall be absolutely no smoking on PIATTRAN vehicles at any time. You may not eat or drink on vehicles except when riding on lengthy trips where you may not be physically able to leave the vehicle to consume food or drink. In that case, the driver shall leave the vehicle parked until you have finished your food and/or drink. Under no circumstances is the vehicle to be in motion.
Passenger Use of Electronic Devices and Musical Instruments
While riding an Piattran buses radios, tape players, CD players or other electronic entertainment devices may only to be used with headphones. You must maintain the volume at levels that cannot be heard by other passengers. You may not play musical instruments on a Piattran vehicle.
Limits to Door-to-Door Service
Providing door-to-door upon requests, means that Piattran drivers cannot enter anyone’s home. However, they can place bags across the threshold – and/or pull a wheel chair over a door threshold if a ramp or accessible entry is present.
Receiving Tips and Gifts from Customers
Piattran employees are prohibited from accepting tips or gifts or any other goods from you, which may, in any way, be construed as an attempt on behalf of the giver to elicit or solicit business favoritism.
Piattran employees and board members may accept promotional items such as pins, buttons, caps, mugs, and other “gifts” which are clearly inexpensive advertising memorabilia. Such items should have a retail value of no more than ten ($10.00) dollars.
Cash Fares and Pass Credit for regular service is charged based on demographic grouping defined below:
- Under 6 - Rides for free if accompanied by a fare paying adult rider
- Student - Under 18 / Attends College or Job Training Program
- Adult - Ages 19 thru 59
- Senior - 60 and Over (see information on this page about over 60 registered rider program)
- Disabled - Completes rider registration form detailing disability
No Show & Last Minute Cancellations
If a rider on three occasions fails to show up for their scheduled ride and/or fails to cancel within an hour of scheduled pickup time – then on the third occurrence and every occurrence afterwards this will trigger a No Show/Last Minute Cancellation fee, the equivalent of one leg of the expected fare. Strikes will reset at the end of June 30th every year. In summary:
- Get 3 strikes - failure to cancel an hour before and/or to show for pickup ride.
- On 3rd strike and every occurrence afterwards, will be charge one leg of the expected fare.
- Strikes reset every June 30th.
For example, you have scheduled to go to Champaign-Urbana 3 in a month, but forgot to cancel each time – the expected fare was $7 each way – therefore, on the third No-Show you will be charged $7, including any time after that until the end of the fiscal year of June 30th
There are several different options to pay for your transportation service.
- Pass Credit is the best option for the frequent rider. By setting up a pre-paid account with us, it will reduce your overall fare prices. For Adult riders, a minimum of a $55 credit has to be paid. For Students, Seniors, or Disabled riders, a minimum of a $40 credit has to be paid. The Pass Credit method also gives you a great degree of flexibility as it can be applied to anyone that you designate as a rider under your account, and is not limited to rides in a specific geographic area, i.e. “In County vs. Out of County”.
- Cash Fare is usually paid by the infrequent rider. Please have the correct fare ready to pay as you board. Drivers cannot make change.
- IL Medicaid and Managed Care Insurance recipients may be eligible for non-emergency medical transportation. If you plan on using this coverage for your fares, please schedule transportation at least 10 business days prior to your appointment, to allow for getting approval from those entities.
- Agency Service Contracts can be negotiated with Piattran to provide transportation for your customers.
- Seniors over 60 Registered Riders are allowed unlimited free rides on regularly scheduled routes In County and one roundtrip per month Out of County. No fare is required for rides scheduled under this designation however donations are appreciated.